Sunday, August 17, 2008

Its A Wonderful Life

If I say this out loud, the cynics would bay for my blood. The realist would refrain from making a categorical statement and would prefer to remain neutral. The optimist, would welcome it with open arms. The film (James Stewart,1946) sends out the message that he, who has friends, is not a failure.

Jay has this theory of quantifying the wealth in life by counting friends. For him, if you have eight friends whom you can call at any point of time in your life without any reservation and you are sure that they will respond, then it has been a life worth living. Now, dont ask me where he got the number 'eight' from. I can only attribute it to one of his idiosyncrasies. But the thought sticks on.

The first time I heard it, I immediately made a mental calculation and was quite satisfied then. That was 10 years back. Today, the calculations have become a bit difficult. The numbers have surely dwindled. But still I can make eight. Just barely so. The worrying aspect is, from here on, subtraction is imminent and addition unlikely.

Those that are here today - might not remain tomorrow. Actually will not. Many of whom I had counted had only flattered to deceive. Some did but without flattering. Some stayed, when I never even counted them. While some were there from the beginning even when I could not count and in all probability, barring the refreshing calamities of life, will be there even after I am gone. IF they can outlive me, that is!

I was always passionate about friendship. Far too much and I realize that now. As usual, mother had warned me of the possible consequences of doing that and as always I had totally disregarded her sermons. Yet like many other things, I remembered it and it seemed to me even at that time that she could turn out to be right. As she puts it "mothers are always right". (Her sample set consists ONLY of incidents where she has been proved right!)

I do not regret the time I spent on them. But I do feel, that I ought to have been a bit more selfish. A little more demanding on myself. It pays well to think for yourself. How I wish I had known Adam Smith and his theory of the invisible hand.

5 comments:

SRK said...

freaky man... last weekend, we had a daaru session wid Snehasis, whr we were discussin the very same thing... abt lasting friendships and other high fundoo stuff... and i categorically told him not to count me among those "who will go out of their way to help"...

u hv 8 ppl who u can count on?? lucky u...

spiderman! said...

SRK:

I just hope that I am right. Until and unless I am in a soup I won't know for sure, would I?

SRK said...

keep puttin money in Nifty futures... and invest some more in Reliance Power...

atleast u'll get to know who ur true friends are :))

R. Anand said...

srk: why do you have to find out who your true friends are ?

hirok: you dont have to be in a soup to find out who your friends are. try to stay out of the soup as much as possible. dont trust your friends will have time to save you. all your friends are busy doing the same.

or else, actually you and your friends could watch each other's backs and keep you from falling into the soup...

now that is a nice idea... but idealist though...

good luck :)

spiderman! said...

Ranga:

Yes, idealistic. Totally. And I doubt whether anyone can prevent anyone from falling into a soup. At best they can help you get out of it.