Monday, July 06, 2009

The Smartest Man

Mark and Steve did not have an illustrious father. Thankfully, the same cannot be said of us. It has taken me a pretty long time to understand that of the three men in our family, given a different time and space, he would undoubtedly be the most successful considering that he is the most talented and definitely the most intelligent.

It took me about five and a half lakhs and two years to understand credit crunch and derivatives (I still don't though!). It took him possibly a little more than half an hour to conceptually understand both. He was never a doting father but one with whom I never had a problem communicating. Contrary to my mother, with whom I can never seem to be on the same plane, he was simply outstanding. Precise, to the point, utterly pragmatic and truly objective, conversations with him would range from being enlightening to stupendously enjoyable. My girlfriends, much to my chagrin, always pointed out that I could never have the sense of humour he has. And reluctantly, I have to agree.

It is said that who you are is a function of what you have done and how. If I take that to be true, then there cannot be a better role model to emulate. Coming from a financially dire background and making it through to the IIT by winning scholarships all through an excellent academic career without the luxuries we enjoyed would surely qualify as exceptional. Add to that a mix of the ability to paint, ability to take photos, ability to radically energize a gathering by sheer wit and you have nothing except a genius who is totally oblivious of it.

As far as his effect on my life is concerned, sons are expected to be better versions of the father. Maybe not as much accomplished but surely better as human beings. Whether I make that cut or not will be a question time will answer. But the fact that I am not exactly a boring company to be with or the fact that I have seen what it is like to start from a modest beginning and make it good or to be positive about things and never lose the practical element of life can be attributed to him.

Never the one to dish out unnecessary advice but always there should you need one, never once intruding upon personal space - in fact, encouraging us to have one, never for once imposing anything or burdeninig me with his expectations and always being supportive by tacitly trusting my ability when there was no evidence that it could be - I could not have expected a better support base. I vividly remember an incident when after my pre-board exams, where I was pummelled by all subjects, I was sitting disappointed having lunch and he casually came to have a glass of water after his siesta and said "It will be alright, not to worry". And he went off. Whatever self-doubt or lack of confidence I had was put to rest. Not for that fleeting second. But for life.

The only logic to faith is love. He had that in plenty. As I try to make sense of this utterly nonsensical life today and I see the same intensity of life and passion in him I am stunned by what an incredibly outstanding human being I had the opportunity to witness in my formative years. Whether I do justice to his legacy or not and whether I finally live up to being a worthy son, the pure joy of being associated by lineage to him was worth it.

If only I had a bit more of that intelligence and talent...

6 comments:

SRK said...

Nice post :)

though somehow I got the feeling that you are Abhishek Bachchan :)

spiderman! said...

Vijay:

Gaali dena hain to aur kuch bol...please uska naam mat le...:(

Scribbler :) said...

As a famous man once said 'By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong.'

Am glad your discovery came quite early.

Mustaf said...

I guess you have a massive responsibility on your shoulder. You father would be happier than you the day people judge you as a better person than him and he will be more disappointed if the otherwise happens. Because i believe more than what one achieves in his lifetime, it is the legacy that one leaves behind that he is remembered of. And you should consider yourself lucky enough to carry such a legacy, the rest is up to you :-)

Anonymous said...

Each time I think this is the best and the most touching post, out comes another which makes me stop in my tracks and reflect, and yes, shed a tear or two...
Someone told me once to tell them I care. I'll tell you only to show them that you do... P

spiderman! said...

Scribbler:

I have always realized things much earlier than my time. And yet...today I am where I am....which speaks volumes of my understanding !!

Mustaf:

I have no burden. I know I cannot match my father. I wont even try. The critical question is what legacy do I leave behind?

P:

Chaap !