Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Price of Success

Its a beautiful world with beautiful people or so they say. Except that I find neither. I think one actually leads to another. Being an engineer I am trained to think methodically and find out patterns where none exists. So my funda is if the latter were to be true in one's life, the former is a foregone conclusion.

Of course, by beauty I do not definitely imply physical beauty. Which sometimes makes me wonder - exactly how many other kinds of beauty are there. And to compound this, there is the inevitability of subjectivity about beauty. And as always, even though I do not seek beauties, I have not been able to remotely come in contact with anyone who would fill my idea of the same. Neither figuratively nor metaphorically. Which begets the question "Am I normal?" or is it that I don't have my specs on or am I looking at the wrong direction altogether. For once, I hope God exists, so that at least I can say "God knows!"

Every evening when I am back from office and I turn the key to my temporary abode, I am greeted with a wonderful sight of a huge empty house, with some useless machines like a television, a laptop, a broadband modem staring at my face in jest saying out aloud "Hah ! Got you again. 27 years and you still have ONLY us to fall back upon."To which I reply with my usual casual nonchalance "Every damn f***ing dog has his day and am waiting for mine!"

The situation is the same every morning. I wake up to that same huge house and the first thing that strikes me is "Isn't it too early to wake up?" or "Why the hell cannot I sleep for 24 hours?".

I have to make breakfast AND have it with the tables and chairs and newspaper to give me company. THEY are such amazing company - I tell you. The very basis of my existence is to have breakfast,evening snacks and dinner with them. In case you are wondering about lunch - for that I grace the tables and chairs of my office along with some other colleagues of mine who do not have such a complete life as mine but are sinfully married! And you can prove it from their totally satisfied expressions post lunch having gulped down everything their dear wives had packed for them early morning. (Alas, they do not have the privilege of such an exciting breakfast as I have!)

The government, opposition, marginals, challengers, secularists, communalists - nearly everyone would have me believe that I being a Brahmin belong to the privileged lot. Ignorant idiots ! They can only guess at the privileges that I enjoy every day of my life. Oh, by the way, in this limited life that I have lived so far, they tell me that I am successful as well.

Yeah, sure. Of course. Great success - tables,
chairs, laptops, mobiles, television, music system.

Here is to success. And privileges. And lousy boring marriage.

6 comments:

R. Anand said...

did u give your blog address to all those girls ?

Gaurav Kumar Ambasta said...

Well, the perception that Brahmins are a priviledged lot is changing fast. With a race down to the bottom of the 'social-hindu-pyramid' becoming more and more lucrative, it is now no virtue to make a exclusive claim on Vedas. Vedas afterall don't provide jobs.. Gurjars have shown the way.. All forward castes need to follow suit.. :)

Read this -
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Rajasthan_Brahmins_demand_quota/articleshow/2116336.cms

Anonymous said...

This comes out as a nice story where the protagonist in inherently facing sadness in his life but he doesn't want to confess that to the world. Trying the sarcastic side of the literature would not do justice to the story. Try a full blown sad story i feel that would appeal much more to the people.

spiderman! said...

Ranga:

Nopes. I was never good at marketing, you see !

GKA:

Agreed. And read that article.

Anirudh:

That is something which is very difficult to do !

Anonymous said...

now now is this a case of grape fruits are sour?

why think of marriage as lousy and yet hanker for one? you must be one of those getting old bachelors whose loneliness angst is propelling them to vent their fury in the form of snide remarks on matrimony....

What kind of a success is it to have a life and all the material add-ons of modern civilization and yet having to get up lonely in life... Sarcasm regarding something you seem not to have experienced is nothing but sheer uninformed prejudice...

spiderman! said...

Anon:

Very difficult to talk to an anonymous person. Please reveal yourself.

I think I was not able to properly communicate my sarcasm for the life I am living versus a hopefully more gratifying married life. So, excuse my communication skills please.