Friday, July 27, 2007

Epithets and Learnings

Yesterday, after a pretty long time I was in an introspetive mood. And I just started listing down some of the adjectives that I have collected over the years.

1. Self-proclaimed movie aficionado
I hardly make proclamations except about love, and that too, sometimes erroneously!
2. Self-proclaimed cricket expert
A big FO to modesty, I DO understand cricket. Or am I just been presumptuous, again ?
3. Elitist
Yes. Cheers to capitalism.
4. Left-leaning intellectual
Neither!
5. Opinionated sonofabitch
Former, yes; latter - leave my mum out of this please!

Quite a decent list I should say, considering I have just about completed 30% of my life. Phew ! 30 percent ! So, what have I learnt?

1. Talk less and listen more
Its funny, post engineering days and pre-MBA days, I had lost my words. And had successfully unconsciously implemented this strategy. And it did pay dividends. But
then MBA happened. And it made me a little more educated and slightly more optimistic. And miraculously enough I found the words. And I am not sure whether I should be happy or sad about it.

2. 23 years wasted
All, or should I say, nearly all that I had learnt in the first 23 years of my life, I had to unlearn. The process was quick and was made unbearably easy by a whole lot of incidents, some which has made me write this post, some which has made me tougher but most importantly some which has taken me out of me. Good or Bad? Verdict still awaited.

3. Tomorrow always comes
Irrespective of what happens, tomorrow always comes in to say 'hello'. Sometimes, even when I did not want to see tomorrow, just wanted to shut my eyes and sleep, even then, my eyes would open to a tomorrow staring me on the face asking me to don the gloves for one last time for a battle against time. I have won, I guess. Would I have felt any different if I had lost?

4. I will always be a spectator
Because I lack talent to make it, because as my father put it succinctly one day a lot many days back that I am hopelessly mediocre, because I lack courage, because I have always been hypocritical, because there are still a lot of 'becauses'!

Yeh Mahalon, Yeh Takhton, Yeh Taajon Ki Duniya
Yeh Insaan Ke Dushman, Samajon Ki Duniya
Yeh Daulat Ke Bhooke, Rawajon Ki Duniya
Yeh Duniya Agar Mil Bhi Jaaye, To Kya Hai ?
- Sahir Ludhianvi-SD Burman-Mohd. Rafi(Pyasa,1959)

8 comments:

SRK said...

hmm... 2 posts back u want to jog with Sush... play wid Sir Viv...
and now u ask 'yeh duniya agar mil bhi jaaye, toh kya?'

to use a line from ur post in between these 2... "Get a Grip"...

waise, u forgot 'unapologized foodie' as an epithet...

spiderman! said...

SRK:

Yep. Got a grip.

Gaurav Kumar Ambasta said...

How do u know u have completed 30% of ur life...??

U were never a spectator... In fact you are the first superstar of our batch. And for lesser mortals like us u'll shine always like a pole star... visible but far...

Pyaaasaaa uffffffffffff... How about this one -

ye kuuche, ye niilaam ghar dilakashii ke
ye luTate hue kaaravaa.n zi.ndagii ke
kahaa.n hai.n, kahaa.n hai.n muhAfiz khudii ke
jinhe.n naaz hai hind par vo kahaa.n hai.n


ye purape.nch galiyaa.n, ye badanaam baazaar
ye gumanaam raahii, ye sikko.n kI jhanakaar
ye isamat ke saude, ye saudo.n pe takaraar
jinhe.n naaz hai hind par vo kahaa.n hai.n

ye sadiyo.n se bekhauf sahamii sI galiyaa.n
ye masalii huI adhakhilI zard kaliyaa.n
ye bikatii huI khokhalii ra.ngaraliyaa.N
jinhe.n naaz hai hind par vo kahaa.n hai.n

vo ujale darIcho.n me.n paayal kii chhan chhan
thakii haarii saa.nso.n pe tabale kI dhan dhan (2)
ye berUh kamaro.n me khaa.nsii ki Than Than
jinhe.n naaz hai hind par vo kahaa.n hai.n

spiderman! said...

I am 28. And I KNOW I will live to be at least 80 ! So, 30% :)

And I was the butt of jokes all through at SP. Par wahan pe kyon ki aap jaise gyaani vyakti mera mazaak urate the is liye humko utna bhi bura nahin laga !

Yeh to mast hain. Rafi kabhi kabhi achcha gata tha :))) Again, Pandora !

Anonymous said...

wat did u do in those first 23 yrs ...n wat did u do differently in the next 5....wud b interesting to knw...but its better still..sum ppl think they have wasted all 28 yrs...n dont have ne freaking idea bout wat to do yet..waitin for pearls of wisdom..

Arthur Quiller Couch said...

Angsty but nice reading. That's a new one in the blog-world.

liveyourdreams said...

are bhaiya.. kuch naya kab likh rahe ho.. whats happening with the Indo-US nuke deal
Pd

spiderman! said...

Arthur:

Thank you !

Pd:

New post on the way.