Tuesday, August 28, 2007

For tomorrow

Of all the posts I have written so far, this would be the first of its kind. And I am a little unnerved by the prospect of writing something which I am not comfortable with. I have serious reservations about this since I am sure that most of my friends would be equally unnerved and to some extent perplexed by this.

I am happy.

This, is, a transient state. No doubt about that. Before you all start barking mythological philosophies and philosophical discourses about all feelings being transient and life being all about moments and how to seize the moment and strike it when its hot (or hard ?!) I assure you, I AM aware of all that. But for the moment, I am happy.

Now, DON'T ask me why. I, myself, am perplexed no end. I am not a depressed sort, never been one, except for a brief phase in my life, many a winter back and I can safely say that, that was an aberration. There is not a reason in this entire universe which could have transformed my perspective from cautious optimism and confident pessimism to a feeling of utter, carefree, boundless enthusiasm.

Or so I thought! And as with many other cases, I was wrong.

This weekend I went to the best city of India (no, its not Kolkata and I am a wee bit sad about it) to meet up with friends and my two and a half year old niece. Looking at her, I realized why it is necessary to have kids (apart from the usual reason of they being a part of me and my loved one!). It is unbelievable, the amount of pristine joy they can provide and how just by dint of being themselves they are perfectly capable of making you feel on-top-of-the-world. Pure, unadulterated joy.

When you come back home after a gruelling day at office, feeling all lost and tired, then that little bundle of energy, without a care in the world, oblivious to your tirade against the mad, bad corporate world, comes running to you - that feeling cannot be recreated or fabricated by anything else - not even by a hopeless session of passionate, tender love-making, let alone a Ganguly cover-drive, a Rafa-Fedex duel or a Kurosawa creation.

The fact that for someone, whatever you say, makes sense, the fact that, to her you are the world, the ludicrous assumption that whatever you say is right and there is no other supreme being, the exhilaration that is evident when she says the most mundane thing to you thinking that to be of greatest importance makes everything right at the end of the day.

And I guess, that is what makes people look forward to tomorrow. If tomorrow comes.

2 comments:

Stambhit said...

I almost missed the post till I thought of running the usual habit of checking the links (if at all some diamond comes out !)..And I guess I am not fruitless this time. Sometimes and only sometimes, it becomes absolutely necessary to forget about your dimensions (and dimension includes time, place et al)and children could be the perfect excuse for that. The fact that all things in this world start with absolute purity is reinforced by their giggles and unadulterated smiles.
I am sure you will have more such moments in the future (surely this is not the last time for such an emotion) and would love to know the improvements in the feelings then.

Kumar said...

man.. these are right signs... You should get married asap... when is the date if i had lost touch a bit..