Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Saumyajit

There are some who will bring a smile to your face the moment their thought crosses your mind, there are some whom you would not even remember after a brush in an evening while there are some who would earn your respect by the sheer weight of their personality but there would always be one who would change the way you think leaving an indelible imprint on your mind, on your life.

I don't know whether Saumyajit has changed my life. Now is not the time to be the judge of that. Maybe, 20 years later, when I start doing a post mortem on my life. But surely the association which started about 15 years back has transformed my thoughts, recalibrated my principles, allowed me to break the greatest barrier known to man - to unshackle the mind and allow it to be free.

I was batting in an absolutely trivial match in my locality where it was a question of life and death to win or lose when I saw this book with a white cover with a rose on top which said "Love Story". At 17, when your life is pretty much on a diet dished out by parents based on the foundations of their moral and ethical fabric, the word 'love' was meant to be uttered in hushed tones, the word 'kiss' used only while cuddling babies and 'sex' meant only checking boxes in forms where you had to specify gender. So, on looking at that book with wide eyed wonder, my exclamation caught him off-guard and he straight away shoved it in my hand. A bit hesitant, I enquired the likely reaction of my parents if they were to catch me reading such a book, to which his nonchalant reply was to first ask them to read that!

That was the book. I had not read anything like that before. It was an appetizer to a sumptuous never-ending meal. After that, at periodic intervals, I would ask him what to read and would have some of the best times of my life poring over his recommendations. And then discuss them with him. His method, or an agenda, I doubt if there was one, was to just throw up a question and let me be with that. In one discussion I remember having being critical of people indulging in sex with reckless abandon, only in pursuit of physical pleasure. His response was "what is wrong with that?" To this day, I do not have an answer to that and possibly this question was the genesis to me thinking about everything and questioning all till I found an answer which would either have a rational backing or an emotional one.

And then came the movies. An ardent follower and admirer of Hollywood, this was a dessert which I had not had an exposure to. That words have power, that melodrama may not be the only method of expression that grief and love has a refined intensity which is much more endearing and intoxicating is something which the movies of the 50s and 60s have made me realize.

What this exposure has inadvertently done is to make me a trfile snooty and utterly dismissive of people who do not read or watch stuff which you wont even remember a moment of barely a minute after you have finished it. I seem to have lost some of my humility in the process but what I have gained in the process is many times more gratifying.

So here is to Saumyajit. May all of the 'spidermans', wherever they are, always have a Saumyajit at some point of time in their life - maybe not to change them, maybe not to do anything but just maybe to make them realize that the liberation of the mind is the greatest instrument of experiencing the divine taste of freedom.

8 comments:

Shalini said...

i know the person referred as Saumyajit...i agree with the post yet disagree on some (depends how the association grew) so not going into that debate...movies, books, discussions 100% agreed...and his way of saying "what's wrong with that?"... although he is senior to me in every aspect of life but there have been innumerable scoldings from me to him which he has blatantly debated and accepted his faults...probably that makes him the person he is :)
cheers :)

spiderman! said...

Shalini:

Yeah, he is a cribber but one refreshingly honest. Btw, are you the one who wrote an article on TOI titled "20 Commandments..." ? If yes, then I intend to respond back to that ;)

Shalini said...

ha ha ha...absolutely right!
and yes I am the one who wrote that article "20 commandments..."

Roushni said...

Can you please explain what does 'liberation of mind' mean to you? Also I don't agree that only reading books and watching movies makes a person liberated or free. I think experiences play a more important role in looking at life differently. For experiences to me are real and therefore more accurate than books.....

spiderman! said...

Roushni:

Liberation of mind is the state of mind where you have the capacity to question EVERYTHING and not be hindered by any guideline or any agenda. And if those questions lead you to uncomfortable answers which are in direct conflict with your value system, you are not scared to change it.

Books and movies or any medium of expression is the basis of experiencing something which you have not but the creator has. In your lifetime, you would not be fortunate or unfortunate to experience everything. But you could, through reading or widening your exposure, get to know those experiences through someone who has gone through them.

And reading or movies wont liberate your mind. For that to happen, assimilation is vital. Unfortunately, we treat movies just a source of entertainment for 3 hours and books as just a collection of words. If reading was enough, many would have been in the company of Socrates and Plato in terms of wisdom, which they are not.

SRK said...

I wish I had friends like that... all I ended up with were ones who taught a good Tambrahm boy to eat fish in the name of liberation of mind... bastards!

spiderman! said...

Vijay:

Well, thanks to those friends, today you are considered a part of the civilized world ! THAT, to me, is a humongous achievement ?!;))

And those friends did try to 'educate' you in inculcating a refined taste but that was too much for a conservative TamBrahm to handle. :D

Anonymous said...

Understandably your article helped me altogether much in my college assignment. Hats high to you enter, choice look ahead in the direction of more related articles without delay as its united of my pick issue to read.