Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Parents and Children

I know all of what you do are meant truly for our well-being, that the intentions are absolutely noble and you only have our best interest at heart. The problem is what constitutes as a virtue to you or rather a vice to you might not be one when you look at it from my perspective. If you let your apprehensions and prejudices and inhibitions and more importantly your value system dictate what I should do or should not, then you are fundamentally destroying everything you have tried to inculcate in me.

YOU have taught me to be independent, to use my ability to think and weigh and choose accordingly what is right or beneficial for me. YOU have given what you had to give and if I, today, are at loggerheads with your value system or your conventions and I desire to chart out a path that I think suits my disposition, then YOU need to stop for a second and allow yourself to trust me against your wishes. Before you jump out of your skin and use the typical parental rhetoric of me being insensitive and how things used to be in your time.


Because if you do that, then I need to remind you in all humility that your time has passed. Just as mine will maybe 20 years from now on. Just as my children's will be when they are 50.


Your children are NOT expected to abide by your system of morality. Because times change and through that changes many things. One of them, particularly in the context of our country is that, the glorification of sacrifice as an instrument of expression of undying love and intensity has given way to being selfish in pursuit of happiness. If it could be had today, it should and will be had today. The second would be a just and necessary utter disdain for what will become of society if we are to be hedonistic. While I appreciate our eternal commitment to hypocrisy in every sphere of life, when we criticize others inspite of having lovely skeletons in our own cupboards, this concern about society forgetting who constitutes them is perplexing. Why not for a change think of our own happiness and fix ourselves first before taking such an honourable job of fixing the society?


Now, why do I still rant about YOU and not just screw it and go ahead? Because I want you to be part of the time when the world appears to be a beautiful place to live in. And hence, I yield. Every time. Hoping that someday you will look at it from my end and try to out-think yourself and allow me to be me. You are important irrespective of whether you can take a call on my life - you are the one who has given it to me.


We are not at war. We shall never be. And if you intend to remain rooted to your conservatism and your ideas, then as a worthy son, I have to do what you have always taught me to - stand up for what I believe in even when I see you warming the opposition bench, for I cannot allow you to let me let go off something which I know for sure is right and let you realize that in hindsight, when we have lost the most precious resource called time.

7 comments:

Sourav said...

Peace ! Amen

Gaurav Kumar Ambasta said...

conservatism has its virtues... most of the good done to USA has been by republicans... in UK by conservative party (thatchers) and India (Rao+Vajpayee)... :)

R. Anand said...

Mama she has taught me well
Told me when I was young
Son, your life's an open book
Don't close it fore it's done
The brigtest flame burns quickest
Is what I heard they say
A son's heart's owned to mother
But I must find my way

Let my heart go
Let your son grow
Mama let your heart go
Or let this heart be still

Rebel my new last name
Wild blood in my veins
Apron strings around my neck
The mark that still remains
Left home at an early age
Of what I heard was wrong
I never asked forgiveness
But what I said is done

Never I ask you
But never I gave
But you gave me your emptiness
I now take to my grave
Never I ask of you
But never I gave
But you gave me your emptiness
I now take to my grave
So let this heart be still

Mama now I'm coming home
I'm not all you wished of me
But a mother's love for her son
Unspoken, Help me be
I took your love for granted
And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go
Mama let me heart go
You never let me heart go
So let this heart be still


"MAMA SAID"
Hetfield, Ulrich
Metallica - Load

Anonymous said...

"...And all the roads we have to walk along are winding,
And all the lights that lead us there are blinding.
There are many things that I would
Like to say to you,
I don't know how...

Because maybe
You're gonna be the one who saves me?
And after all
You're my wonderwall..." Oasis

:) P

spiderman! said...

Sourav:

Yeah, peace :)

GKA:

My post had hardly any political angle to it !

Ranga and P:

Interesting, thanks !

Unknown said...

Spidey...ur blogs rock big time ...

Unknown said...

and do they read your posts? otherwise all your rantings will go to waste my child