Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Interpretation of Requests

Over the past one year because of the collection of movies I have or because of my association with SP's movie club I have come across a variety of people (or is it the other way round) who have come to me requesting for a movie. On the basis of the lines that they choose to request I would often take a shot at guessing their level of intellectual maturity (ok..ok..just maturity is fine...but this 'sounded' better !); and more often than not I was myself surprised to see that I was not way off the mark.

Here are some of those lines and my interpretation of those. Obviously, no disrespect meant. (hell, why am I putting the disclaimer ? Bulls to that...I dont care what you think)

1. Mere ko ek Achcha sa movie de
This is exactly the kind of question which triggers off an insane urge to hold the guy by the scruff and holler loudly on his ears that what I might perceive as a good movie might not be good in his opinion. I have really given it a long hard thought as to what constitutes a "achcha" movie in their opinion and invariably, almost always I have got it miserably wrong ! I mean, statistically also, by law of averages, I should have hit the bull's eye at least once. But no ! I guess I am giving the dabbawallahs of Mumbai a very stiff competition with 99.9% (in)accuracy !

Generally, those who come with this kind of a request have very little idea about what a movie is. Mind you, they are also equally likely to appreciate a real good cinema if they happen to come across one. These guys are generally open to movies of all kinds - they would not shut out any option before watching it. But out of their own volition they would not explore.

2. Do u have a 'light' movie ?
Even without batting an eyelid, I respond in the negative. Frankly, I don't understand what they want. Or maybe I fail to understand whether they are asking for a Govinda or a Chaplin? (Due apologies to Charles for having uttered both at the same breath) Because if I ask them whether Chaplin is the answer to their requirement - the answer is "Nahin yaar, it is too kiddish!" For once I am grateful that Charles Chaplin is not alive; had he been alive he would have died again ! If I offer a Govinda (which I seldom can) then the next question is an inevitable "Govinda ka kaun sa ?" As if Govinda has acted in some of the most coveted and landmark movies of India and he is choosing one amongst them !

The "lightweights" seriously lack the ability to appreciate subtlety or an underlying theme. I guess "metaphor" is a word which they are not very familiar with and which they do not really appreciate. It can also be safely assumed with some degree of accuracy that they have been born and bred in a healthy atmosphere of Bollywood masala believing that movies are the best excuse to having a popcorn and an ice-cream filled evening !

3. Give me an action movie
I absolutely love them, adore them. Apart from the fact, that civility is yet to cross their path
(how else can the gross admiration for violence be explained?), these people are completely uncomplicated, very focussed in what they want in life, and would not go for any other kind of movie which does not set their adrenaline pumping ! The "Bashers" are never swayed and even an Eigenstein or a Spielberg is incapable of taking them away from their first love !

4. U have a comedy ?
People who have never known what adversity in life is, and who would not have made it to SP had they tried to crack it this time ! They are typically the kind who would want to shut off all that is 'bad, ugly, dirty' in this world and would live in a beautiful illusionary world where there is only happiness, where the sun is always shining, where you can run around trees when you are in love (and have the extras too!), where the dictionary does not have any word called "sorrow" or any of its synonyms. They are enjoyable company but I really cannot see any way how they can add value to my life. Nopes, I am not for them and neither are they for me !

5. I dont want any serious stuff, I don't want to think, just give me a movie, man !
Its only unfortunate that these people are born in the homo-sapien community ! Thoughts or the ability to think and rationalize is the only difference between humans and other animals. If we forego our ability to think, then we might as well be animals. Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer to them. I hope, rather I believe that the ability to always think makes me more humane than anything else and if I am to stop doing that I should only cease to exist !

Sometimes, I think that I am too antiquated, born at the wrong time or at the wrong place. With each passing day, the belief only turns to conviction.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A movie is a movie is a movie! I guess all of us at all points of time have used one or more of these qualifiers. And I guess it has a lot to do with our mood at that moment. And yes, we know a good movie from a bad one, thank you :-)

SRK said...

saale... u conveniently skipped the most common request that happens here... whaddya classify 'them' as???

Anonymous said...

Don't you think it rather unfortunate that our choice to put Hollywood biggies far far ahead of our home-grown talents is so obvious? Does it not matter that Govinda has made more people laugh in his lifetime than Chaplin did? Or maybe third-world laughter does not matter...maybe the depths of social satire are more important than the good-natured laughter of the unpolished, uneducated working class (whom Chaplin was incidentally representing in most of his films).