Sunday, July 23, 2006

My Kind Of Woman

Suddenly,like a bolt from blue, today I remembered my grandmother. The incredible lady that she was, I was just thinking whether I would ever find a woman like that. And more importantly, if I were to find such a lady, would I like to have her in my life. Paradoxically, the answer is no.

There are two reasons for it.

My grandmother was someone who would be happy with whatever you gave her, in fact, even if you had nothing to give she would not complain. Even for a moment. I find that absolutely revolting and inexplicable.She found that natural. I still remember her working relentlessly from five in the morning (err...those were different days when I woke up early !) and after a tiring day full of household chores would promise to play Ludo with us - three of her grandchildren. We would wait expectantly for the exciting post-lunch Ludo sessions. And not once, not once were we disappointed. Imagine, around twenty-five odd people to be looked after and not a grimace on her face. Happy and contended.

Now, how do I make a woman of that kind happy ? If I were to get someone of that nature in my life, I would think that it would be a great injustice to her. Frankly, I have nothing to offer to her that can contribute to her happiness. It implies that irrespective of my existence she would be happy ? Its too preposterous to believe that I may be the cause of that happiness. These people are seldom swayed by anything material. They are the columns on which rests the entire structure of a family. Now that I am old enough to understand some of the nuances of what 'expectation' is, what constitutes 'happiness', what we have to do to have a fulfiling life, I have this irresistible urge to ask her what made her happy. I am not quite sure that I would have had a concrete answer.

Some questions bother me. Always. And just the moment I think I figured out the answer, there would be a twist in the offing which would make all previous calculations redundant (sounds hopelessly like one of those Fin problems!) The perennial question that bothers me still is "What kind of woman would I want to live with"

The proverbial answer is "I don't know" (I think my dear friend SRK would be happy to see that finally an MBA has the guts to say this !) I am too easily bored, too easily irritated, too frivolous to be anchored, too attracted by other women(I discovered pretty late that I actually fall in love with every woman that I interact with!). Its impossible for me to love anyone over a long period of time. I am just not cut out that way. I find very little to speak about anything - am too lazy. Sometimes I don't even find a reason. And when someone keeps on talking when I am not in the mood, I am turned off. Just switched off. Instantly. All of this - they are the recipe for a perfectly cacophonous co-existence.

But, the only thing that keeps me ticking is an intellectually challenging conversation. If by a stroke of luck, I happen to meet someone who has that elusive streak, who would not really cave in - on the face of it, give it back to me as and when required and yet respond with passion, then it would be exhilarating. And I doubt, in fact, I am sure, that someone of my grandmother's nature would ever offer me that.

Somehow, I sort of understand what Souvik meant when he said "I am scared....of myself" !

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Ma knows to I don't know...must have taken you quite a while to come to that! True, you don't like things easy and unattainable. Where would you wear off all that 'sarcastc energy' then! ;-)) Damn nice post. I am amazed every single day by your writing skills, and the way your thoughts meander... P

Anonymous said...

hirok, i think it is ME you are looking for... i can see it in your words... i can see it your blog... I can live with you falling in love with other women, now that i am pretty certain that you are in love with me!...(note: discovered pretty late that I actually fall in love with every woman that I interact with!.. and you interact with me quite a lot). i have already tolerated your mood swings, your almost diurnal PMS cycles, your switching off (was that you wrote?)... and needless to say.. i am thoroughly intellectual by your standards at least... provide you, whenever you want, recently at my dad's cost... with thoroughly stiumulating conversation...what else do you want babes?.. i may not be your grandmommy.. but am i not elusive enough?...lemme know, will ya?

Anonymous said...

Spiderman caught in a web..:-P

SRK said...

U want beauty, u wnat brains, u want an intelluctual conversation, u want her to shut up when u r not in the mood... me thinks u r sounding like the impossible woman u want :P

spiderman! said...

correct SRK...me apprehensive of that as well..:(

R. Anand said...

too many parameters - core dumped... better outsource.