Saturday, December 16, 2006

Do Bigha Zameen

By definition, the left is never right. The Chief Minister of West Bengal in his mission to industrialize the state (which they themselves had de-industrialized way back in the 70s and 80s)had committed to the TATAs of handing over 997 acres of land for their new manufacturing plant to be set-up for the 1 lakh car.Everything fine so far. The whole of Bengal rejoiced at this new opportunity which would create a minimum of 12000 jobs in the next year.

So, whats the hitch ?

The problem started when the Government started acquiring land. There are primarily two issues out here.


1. Is land acquisition from farmers against their opposition correct ?

2. Should agricultural land be used for other commercial purposes ?

Two incredibly critical issues - on which opinions would be starkly divided, battlelines drawn between the urban and the rural India, between famers which account for about a sizeable chunk of our population and a new aggressive Indian mindset which believes that compromise and discussion only complicate matters.

Lets look at the first issue in this post and I will take up the second one in the following post.

Consider a hypothetical situation - a purely hypothetical, mind you. You have a home and you are staying there for a minimum of twenty years. You do not have a fixed monthly income. You earn your daily bread and on some days you dont earn anything at all. On others you earn about 50 bucks on an average. You are uneducated and have no skill. You only know how to raise paddy and rice. The beauty of the situation is compounded by the fact that you are also responsible for the life of three other people. So effectively you have to spend a day within 20 bucks.

Now, I come to you and tell you that I need your home. And in return, I PROMISE to give you 10000 bucks which you have to collect from my secretary at office.

What would you do ?

Had I been in your place, I would have GENTLY said "Fuck Off". Mind you, gently - at first. Then if you pester me and come back a fortnight later with 12 strong, well-built, nice muscular men, I would feel a little intimidated but still resist. On some more 'persistence' I would finally come to the negotiating table and give you my consent. The next day, I would go to your office and ask for the PROMISED sum only to be informed by your secretary that after 'his service charge' the payment would be about 2500 bucks.

So what has been done ?

You got my house, my land, the ONLY thing I had, and you don't even give me peanuts for it and if I resist you brand me of ignoring the implicaions of greater societal good and you of all, finally wax eloquence of social responsibility !

How do you expect ME to think of societal benefits when none would accrue to ME when apparently everyone is thinking of mine while in REALITY none is ? It is MY land, my existence, my roots are there - you want societal benefit, please go ahead and do so at your own place.

This is what rural India is saying out - loud and clear.

Are we listening ? More importantly, are we able to appreciate their problem ?

3 comments:

SRK said...

good one Banerjee... no one shud be forced to give up something which is his...

par mereko tere post mein koi solution nahi dikh raha hai

spiderman! said...

Srk:

iska solution hain ki nahin yeh mujhe pata nahin...

Ashu said...

since when was life perfect...

its always greater good for the greater masses

i dont mind if 1000 such guys were to be displaced if I am creating resources that would maybe change the lives of millions... there might be some issues with their promised 10,000s becoming 2500s... but then that issue can be worked out,... no point blaming the project for it..

my bro is in army... last march when he graduated, he introduced me to his roomie, a sweet looking dude and the only son of his parents in some village of south india... just like you n me, he was full of enthu and had dreams in his eyes.... i remember his face very well...

last week my bro called me and informed that the same dude was killed in a counter insurgency operation at LoC... he killed three militants before a bullet hit him...

this death was def not the last death on border... i'm sure many more ppl wud sacrifice their lives... and while we should grieve over these people, the point at the same time is that defending the LoC (or any border) is equally important... you cannot tell tomm that i want to save the lives of my men and hence go take away the land of my country...

similarly you may chose to grieve over the farmer there... but u still need that modernization and factory building to occur... why?
same logic: greater good for greater masses

if u really are worried about the farmer, first offer a good deal to the farmers and secondly ensure that they do get it... frankly speaking ensuring both is not a diff prob at all for buddha...