Friday, May 08, 2009

Mark and Steve

To say that he was the cheese and I was the chalk would be an understatement. To say that he was Mark and I was Steve would be a closer approximation, nonetheless stretching it a bit far.

He has grace. I have grit. He was prolific. He still is. I was the typically sedate. He made it look so easy. For him, it was just a question of when. The how was clear and so were the results. I was cocky and definitely lacked the ability he had. Ironically enough, we both started from the same room. And reached different horizons in life.

It had to be this way. There was no other.

He was a mother’s delight. Unobtrusive, quiet, a boy of exceptional intelligence and concentration, obedient and a sneaking tendency to excel in everything he would touch, the indications of his success were for all to see. He was destined to be something special. Coming from an academically illustrious family, this was the norm rather than the exception. And he did not disappoint. Never did. The boy grew up to be one of the best in the family – excellent in demeanor, hard-working, handsome and professionally outstanding. The parents were blessed. Or so they thought.

Till I came into the picture.

I was everything he was not. I was mischievous, deliberately non-conformist, utterly vain and supremely confident in the idea that I was an equal if not better than him. I never was. Contrary to the general fortunes in my life, in academics, luck did smile on me when it was most needed. I barely scraped through otherwise. Statistically, I hardly had an average academic career. I never listened to the soundest advice of my parents even when I knew that they were right. My desire to learn everything through experience was unshakeable even after persistent, recurring setbacks. In short, I did nothing in my excellent useless life so far to deserve the tag of a worthy sibling. I could not have cared any less.

If it were not for my mother.

When he was felicitated as one of the beacons of hope, after he stood in top 20 in our final board examinations, only one could accompany him to the ceremony. My father went and my mother missed out. I promised to her that on my day it would even out. Much as I pride myself on keeping promises, I was not able to. She never mentioned it and I am quite sure she would not even recollect this incident.

But promises in childhood are more than just promises. Particularly those made to parents.

Today, we have both made something out of our lives. He – expectedly and I, contrary to popular belief quite unexpectedly. He – seamlessly, effortlessly and I scrambling and scraping. As I think today, given an option, whom would I like my offspring to emulate? The one who gave joy and made them proud or the one who hardly ever could? The one who grew up to be everything his parents hoped for or the one whose only connection to his parents would be the same genetic constitution?

This time, the answer definitely does not blow in the wind.

9 comments:

Scribbler :) said...

Am not going to say that your post is touching, (though it is).

Neither that your parents are proud of you too...not necessarily for the same reasons...

Neither that academic brilliance may be a parameter for judging others...not your close ones (because close ones are never judged)...

Just wanted to let you know that you disappoint me...in being a revolutionary in so many other ways, but so sadly typical in your idea of human worth.

spiderman! said...

Scribbler:

The question is not whether I am worthy to my parents. To a parent, the mere existence of a child is worthy enough.

The question is - how have we, the two sons, fared having the same set of circumstances and the paths we have chosen ?

And given a choice from the perspective of a parent, whom would I want as a son.

Its got nothing to do with worth per se, but more of met/unmet expectations.

Scribbler :) said...

Ask your mom that question 'If you were to have just one son, who would it be?'

Let me know what her answer is. Am pretty sure when you are a parent yourself, you will have the same answer for one of your children, who asks you the same question in a similar situation.

SRK said...

Loser! ;)

and someone describes you as "being a revolutionary in so many other ways"???
I need to look up the meaning of the term "revolutionary"...

apart from that, nice post...

the snake said...

My remark is centered around the last stanza only. I have nothing to say about the preceding ones...you are free to choose how you feel about a certain context or situation.

Now I can understand your discontent on allegedly not fulfilling the expectations of your parents.
Question is, would you like your child to go through the same heartache of unfulfilled expectations? If not, why burden them with expectations? Why not let them bloom in their own way and sit back and take delight in that?
Is it not better to let them set their own goals rather than pre determining the goals for them?

Now this might sound audacious, cause I am not a parent myself, but I feel that as a parent the most you can and should do is to help your child find a footing when he errs, not to lay down a path for him.

You cannot live his life for him, neither can he live yours. So let him make mistakes, just be there to support him when he needs. Do not clip his wings, let him fly, but keep a net handy in case he falls.

spiderman! said...

Vijay:

Tu hi mujhe pehchaan nahin paya ! :))

Snake:

Well, after my 12th my parents hardly had any expectations from me. Or rather they did not know what to expect !

And on the rest, i TOTALLY agree with you. Parents should only strive to give as much exposure to their kids as possible and let them decide for themselves what they intend to do with their lives.

SRK said...

well, let's just say that I never got to see the 'revolutionary' side of you :)

and the "Loser!" remark stays... not just for academic reasons...

Silverback said...

Holiday in Norway. My sister married a dentist who was Norweigian. He used to act in movies:
"The hot hands of a dentist"
"The fillings of a molar"
"Insert and extract"

But onto other topics. I thought it was a brilliant post but the only problem is you realize that the other person usually feels as strongly as you. He/she feels a looser, feels they scraped through in life, feels that respect, love, adoration and admiration was heaped on the other person, whereas they only had scorn.

The fact of the matter is this:
1. We are all termites trying to eat the same log
2. The termites hate each other

Ria said...

Nice Post!I like your poignant thought about childhood promises.
Being different individuals,what matters most is, you have reached a horizon.For most of us a lifetime isn't enough to reach one!
I say, it takes all kinds of humans to make this world a sparkling place to live in! And every one of us is a relative measure of the other.Without bad how would be know good! Without dark how would there be light!
Hmmm ..your conclusion bought Dylan to my headphones! :)